Hello and Welcome to Part 1 of the Cambly Kids Tutor Guide!
We’re so happy that you’ve decided to join us on our mission to help kids get a head start on their English learning journey! We’ve developed this Cambly Kids Tutor Guide for all of our tutors, both new and experienced, covering everything from our platform to tutoring tips.
|Pro Tip: The articles build on each other so it’s best to start with Part 1 and finish with Part 6, especially if you’re new to Cambly as it will cover topics such as preparing for your first lesson (Part 2); creating your profile and setting up your workstation (Part 3); booking reservations (Part 4); the basics of teaching kids (Part 5); and information about our policies (Part 6).|
While Cambly as a whole is a platform geared toward adults, Cambly Kids is a platform geared specifically toward children ages 4-15. And even though all students on Cambly have the goal of learning and practicing English by chatting with native English speakers, there are some differences in how you as a tutor can help a child achieve this goal.
Here are a few ways that Cambly Kids is different from tutoring adults on Cambly:
- It’s kids-only and reservation-only.
- Each session follows a 30-minute Cambly curriculum-based lesson.
- Depending on the user, chat messages can go to the student’s parents or the student directly.
- It has a higher pay rate of $0.20/min, ($12/hour).
Here are a few ways that Cambly is different than other platforms:
- You are in charge of your own schedule and it is completely flexible as students are in time zones all around the world. You don't have to get up to work early to tutor if you don't want to!
- Need to take a break? You can take any time off you need without penalties as long as you manage your schedule and keep your students informed. There are no minimum hours per week, and you can cancel a class (with at least 12 hours' notice) without penalty.
- Classes are designed to run the full 30 minutes. Please make sure to build a schedule that will allow you to show up on time, ready to tutor, for all of your students. If you have several back-to-back classes scheduled, make sure to scaffold breaks in as needed.
The Cambly Platform
If this is your first time tutoring on Cambly, you’ll see a couple of tabs at the top of the page when you first log in as a tutor. For a brief overview of how to navigate these tabs, please follow this link. If you’d like to know more about a specific tab, you can click on the links below to learn more:
- Dashboard Tab - You will see all your incoming calls here, so we ask that you keep this page open and unmuted when you’re tutoring. When your student calls in, you will hear a ringtone. Simply click their name to answer the call.
- Priority Hours Tab* - Because Cambly Kids is reservation-only, most CK tutors choose to only do reservations.
- Reservations Tab- Here, you can set your reservation availability or even propose a time for a regular student.
- Library Resources - Courses and lessons for older kids and adult students can be found in the Cambly Library. To find resources specifically for younger kids, please follow this link!
- History (Payments) Tab - Want to jot down a note about where you left off during your last chat? Just click on a student’s name in your call log to send a message or visit their profile. This tab also contains your tutoring stats and current account balance.
- Profile Tab - Your Tutor Profile is a way of marketing yourself to Cambly students. Students will often take the time to browse tutors' profiles before choosing who they want to chat with, so it's important to keep your profile up-to-date with relevant information!
|*Note: If you are interested in making yourself available to students on an on-demand basis, teaching adults would be your best option since it is highly unlikely that you will connect with a Cambly Kids student who had a last-minute cancellation.
Setting up your Classroom
If this is your first time doing online tutoring, please follow this link to a crash course on how to ensure that your internet connection is stable enough for you to be clearly seen and heard by your students. If you are having specific problems, follow the links below to find more in-depth guides:
- Online Classroom Setup | Easy Tips for Clear Audio
- Classroom Setup | Lighting Hacks for Looking Your Best
- Technical Issues FAQs
Tutoring on Cambly
If this is your first time tutoring, don’t worry! Our platform was designed to give first time tutors the support they need to nurture their teaching skills. And while every tutor has their own style, we’ve found that our most successful tutors know how to carry a conversation! They also find ways to give great feedback so that their students know specifically how they can improve and are always eager to come back for more!
For tips on these skills, follow the links below made by Cambly Tutors:
- How to Keep the Conversation Going | Cambly Tutor Tips
- Corrections and Feedback | Cambly Tutor Tips
- How to Win Over Regular Students | Cambly Tutor Tips
- 5 Mistakes New Tutors Make | Cambly Tutor Tips
- Super Tutor Tips - How To Be A Successful Tutor Online with Cambly
|Congratulations on Completing Part 1! Now that you know the basics of the Cambly platform, continue on to Part 2 of this guide to learn how to teach a Cambly Kids Lesson!|