This article explains how and when tutors can report students. In all instances, we ask that tutors behave professionally and avoid engaging with offensive students.
In this article:
- What is Reporting a Student?
- Reporting a Student
- Hiding From a Student
- Reporting a Student From Inside the Classroom
- Kids in the Cambly Classic Classroom
What is Reporting a Student?
The report a student feature is used to protect tutors and promote a safe and supportive learning environment. When a tutor reports a student, the tutor is hidden from the student. In more serious cases, it will result in the student being banned from the platform.
- If a tutor is hidden from a reported student, the student won’t be able to view the tutor’s schedule or book additional lessons with the tutor. It also means that the tutor will not show up to the student when the tutor is visible on Cambly, so the student is unable to call the tutor on-demand.
- If a student is banned from the Cambly platform, their subscription will be terminated and they won’t be able to use their banned account to access tutors on the platform. Bans can sometimes be overturned after further review and investigation in the event we believe the circumstance did not warrant a ban.
Tutors are able to report a student from inside or outside of the classroom:
- In the event a student is interfering with the tutor’s ability to teach, tutors can report a student during a lesson. Because the lesson will end immediately if you report a student during a lesson, if you feel as though you are unable to complete the lesson and elect to report a student from inside the classroom, we ask that you politely inform them that you are ending the lesson before pressing the report button. Note: in rare but extreme and urgent circumstances, you are able to end the lesson without informing the student. Examples of these situations are students exhibiting extremely offensive or inappropriate behavior.
- If the tutor elects to report the student outside of a lesson, they can do so from the student profile or from inside the Cambly chat with that student.
An important note for Cambly Kids Tutors:
Due to the unique nature of working with children, we ask that you avoid using the report button in class, as it automatically ends the class when pressed. To learn more about policies and guidance for Cambly Kids tutors, please visit this help center article.
Reporting A Student
If you encounter any form of harassment or offensive, inappropriate behavior, please report the student. Tutors can also report students in scenarios where the student and tutor are simply not a good match or due to persistent technical problems. Unless extremely disruptive to your tutoring, these less severe cases should be reported outside of the classroom rather than during a lesson.
When you report a student, you will be asked to supply a reason. Depending on the reason selected, you may be hidden from the student, or in more serious cases, the student’s account may be banned from the Cambly platform. Regardless of the reason selected, if you report a student during a lesson from inside the classroom, the lesson will end immediately.
Here is a summary of how the Cambly platform automatically responds to different reported incidents.
In any scenario where the Cambly action is hiding the tutor or banning the student, the student does not have access to that lesson recording.
If you selected Technical problems made it impossible to teach, but would still like to hide from the student, please follow the steps below to hide.
A Note for Groups Tutors:
Group Lessons have their own Report policies. To learn more, visit this Group Lesson help center article all about Group Lesson Policies.
Hiding From a Student
There are two ways to hide from a student.
1. From the Student Profile: Click Report and select a reason
2. From the Student Chat: Click the Settings Gear, then click Report, and select a reason
After you select a reason, you will be hidden from the student. In some cases, the student’s account may be banned from the platform.
There is also an option to simply hide from the student.
When it is Appropriate to Hide from a Student
Not every tutor and student can get along and that's okay! If you find a student is not compatible with your teaching style, politely let them know and recommend that they look for another tutor. Being upfront and direct with your student is the best way to go! Hiding from a student without any explanation may cause confusion or discourage the student from booking future lessons, so it shouldn't be your default option when you find that you aren't compatible with a student.
We recommend being courteous and respectful, and if you wish to help the student find a better suited tutor you can create a post on the Cambly Corner Facebook page and ask if other tutors would be interested in tutoring your student. Please describe your student's needs, level and what they are looking for. If you’re not comfortable having those conversations, or if the student continues to call, feel free to hide your profile, but it’s usually best to communicate directly whenever possible!
When you hide from a student, every upcoming reservation you have with them will automatically be canceled without any penalty.
Reporting a Student From Inside the Classroom
It is important to note that if you report a student during the call for any reason, it will end the call immediately. Please politely inform the student before reporting them.
There are two ways to report a student during a call.
- Clicking the Report button
- Hover over the student video and click the ⊝ icon
Both options will prompt the same pop-up, and once a reason is selected, the call will end immediately, so please be sure to politely inform the student you are ending the call before reporting.
When it’s appropriate to Report a Student and Remove them from the Classroom
We empower Cambly tutors to report any student who creates an unsafe learning environment. If you encounter any form of harassment or offensive, inappropriate behavior, please report the student immediately. If you are able to complete the lesson, but still wish to hide from or otherwise report the student, please follow the steps above on how to hide from a student.
Kids in the Cambly Classroom
If you believe that the user is not mature enough for the product, it is best in this situation to very tactfully let the student know you cannot complete the call and that Cambly will return their lesson. Then, select End Lesson and choose End lesson and return minutes. You can learn more about that feature here.
If you are unable to use the return lesson option, and are also unable to complete the call, you are still able to report the student from inside the call by selecting the report reason “Not mature enough for this lesson”. This will immediately end the lesson and hide your profile from the student.